The new year has started with a bang in games sales, as one high-profile shooter has shot down its nearest and dearest competitor. Open-world First-Person-Shooter (FPS), Far Cry 3 has replaced FPS heavyweight Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 as the UK's biggest selling game for the first week of 2013.
According to videogames website, CVG, Far Cry 3's rise to the top may have been helped in part by a discount promotion across retail. The move effectively ends Black Ops 2's unbroken six-week run atop the UK's games sales charts. FIFA 13 managed to climb back into second position - perhaps aided by the football fixtures over the Christmas holidays - while Hitman: Absolution slipped to fourth position. What's notable about the charts is that no Nintendo Wii U title has managed to crack the top 10 yet.
The rest of the top 10 shapes up as follows:
1. Far Cry 3 (ranked 2 last week)
2. FIFA 13 (ranked 4 last week)
3. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 (ranked 1 last week)
4. Hitman: Absolution (ranked 3 last week)
5. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (ranked 6 last week)
6. Just Dance 4 (ranked 5 last week)
7. Halo 4 (ranked 8 last week)
8. Assassin's Creed III (ranked 7 last week)
9. LEGO Lord Of The Rings (ranked 9 last week)
10. Forza Horizon (unranked last week)