Samsung is set to launch its follow-up to the Galaxy Fold (opens in new tab) this August (opens in new tab) based on what we've heard (unofficially) so far, and it really needs to knock it out of the park with the second iteration of the handset.
The original Fold has some serious issues (opens in new tab) which delayed the launch (opens in new tab), but Samsung managed to iron out the kinks and release a second, improved Galaxy Fold (opens in new tab) and followed it up with the fantastic Galaxy Z Flip (opens in new tab) that demonstrated that the Korean company does actually know what it's doing when it comes to foldables.
One of the letdowns with the Fold was the size of the notch and bezel; for a smartphone designed to increase screen real estate, these features took up a lot of it. But it looks like that may not be something we have to worry ourselves about with the Fold 2.
- Breaking! The iPhone 12 Pro feature Apple fans want just got discovered in iOS 14
- OnePlus Z teaser ambushes Google Pixel 4a price leak
- PS5 SSD from Samsung looks like first ESSENTIAL PlayStation 5 upgrade
- This is the re-imagined Sony PlayStation 5 of our dreams
- Xbox Series X is so powerful you can 'see as well as feel' it. Here's how...
- Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 to unleash Motorola Razr beatdown with this awesome tech
- Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 to launch in August – but there's a catch
Samsung Twitter leaker Ice Universe (opens in new tab) - who has an established record for reliable intel - has claimed that the Galaxy Fold 2 will not only have a larger screen than its predecessor, but that both the notch and bezel will be smaller this time around too.
Galaxy Fold 2, 7.7”，it is estimated that Bezel is only 3.8mm, Hole 4.8mm.June 21, 2020
The Galaxy Fold's screen measured 7.3-inches so the Fold 2 is going to offer a size upgrade that we'll really be able to appreciate when its in tablet mode. The thinner bezels will also add to the experience, making it a must for fans - as long as Samsung doesn't run into any more issues this time around.
Ditching the notch for a hole-punch camera is something we're pleased as punch about - the notch on the Fold was pretty huge and detracted from the immersive tablet experience by hogging a significant portion of the screen.
- This Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 design with THREE DISPLAYS is the folding phone we want (opens in new tab)
- Samsung Galaxy Fold 2 will leave Z Flip in its dust with 100% screen and 0% notches (opens in new tab)
Rumours of the Galaxy Fold 2's design have been floating around for a few months now, and Ice Universe's tweet seems to corroborate a lot of what we've seen and heard so far.
Hopefully we'll find out exactly what Samsung has in store in just a couple of months, when the Fold 2 makes its debut.
Source: BGR (opens in new tab)