- PS5 pre-order guide: release date, price, and where to order
- Cyberpunk 2077's plan for Xbox Series X and PS5 domination breaks cover
However, its futuristic looks divided opinion among gamers, with some believing it looked epic (opens in new tab) and like a piece of alien technology, and others unimpressed with what they said looked like nothing but a massive router (opens in new tab).
Well, now, this stunning design video shows the PS5 that maybe Sony should of built.
The PlayStation 5 console in this video come courtesy of talented designer Concept Creator (opens in new tab), and show both the PS5 and PS5 Digtial Edition re-imagined. The big differences in the design are that the console is smaller than the real life PS5 and that the full-fat PlayStation 5's disc drive is now located in its centre, rather than hung off the side of the chassis.
Obviously, the other major takeaway from this design is that the console also comes in a lovely jet black colorway, which looks shut-up-and-take-out money gorgeous. Hopefully Sony will follow suit and unveil an official black PS5 soon.
Here at T3 we are very much in the pro-PS5 design camp, however there is no denying that the PlayStation 5 consoles in this video do look amazing. We especially love the lines on the re-imagined PS5 Digital Edition, which tapers beautifully at the base.
What we think is fair to say, though, is that both the real and re-imagined PS5 look significantly more "gamer" than the more mature, understated Xbox Series X black tower. Was is interesting, too, is that both consoles seem to have been designed primarily for vertical orientation. Both the Xbox Series X and PS5 can obviously be placed horizontally, but from what we've seen they look better when stood up.
Which makes us ask the question? How will gamers position their next-gen console of choice? Traditionally games console sat under TVs in cabinets, or to the side in a vertical orientation in a stand of some sort, such as the PlayStation 2 first made popular. Will the bold new looks of both consoles mean they take more prominent, visible positions in gamer setups? It will be interesting to find out when both the PS5 and Xbox Series X hit store shelves this winter holiday season.
- OnePlus Z confirmation ambushes Google Pixel 4a price leak
- PS5 SSD from Samsung looks like first ESSENTIAL PlayStation 5 upgrade
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 benchmarks just broke cover and AMD is in big trouble
- Xbox Series X is so powerful you can 'see as well as feel' it. Here's how...
- PS5 DualSense controller will change the way you play. Here's how...
- Will this SHOCKING PS5 feature make you think twice about buying it?