Have you indulged yourself a little too much on Valentine's Day? It's time to burn off those excess calories with this fast boxing workout that only takes seven minutes but will torch fat, fast. This is the perfect routine for a warm-up before exercise or as a stand-alone foundational workout for footwork.
Today's instructor is FightCamp (opens in new tab) Trainer Jess "Pocket Rocket" Evans (opens in new tab) who's been introduced to sports when she was only four years old. She started her boxing career in 2012 and later transitioned into Muay Thai. She has a deeply rooted desire to empower women and teach self-defence for prevention against domestic violence.
If you like the below workout, we have three more exercise routines for you to check out on FightCamp's blog: start with the Metabolic Resistance Training Workout (opens in new tab), the recover using a foam roller with this Foam Roller Recovery Routine (opens in new tab). Finally, learn how to train your whole body using a single piece of home gym equipment with some top Full Body Kettlebell Exercises (opens in new tab).
More FREE FightCamp Workouts!
With the goal of sharing boxing and kickboxing’s benefits to the masses, FightCamp is offering over 100 free workouts (and growing) to encourage healthy habits in the new year.
As so many of us plan our fitness and wellness goals for our New Year’s Resolutions, there’s no better time to try something new than now! Not to mention, something new for completely free. No strings attached, just good ol' workouts to help you get fit in 2022.
You can access this extensive library by simply downloading the FightCamp iOS app (opens in new tab), creating an account and selecting a workout with the "Tracker Optional" icon.
How to perform Jess' 7-minute boxing footwork workout
Follow along with Jess as she teaches speed ladder drills for beginner boxers with three rounds of two minutes of work and 20 seconds rest in between each round.
You'll need a speed ladder to perform this workout but you can also do it without any equipment, as long as you can mark the ground somehow. For example, if you're outside, you can use chalk to draw boxes on the concrete.
Some tips for the workout:
- Start slow and build speed
- Stay on the balls of your feet
- Keep your body over your hips to prevent yourself from falling forward or backwards
- Don't forget to breathe!
Are you ready? Click play on the video below, and let's get going!
Watch: Jess' 7-minute boxing footwork workout
Jess' 7-minute boxing footwork workout: Exercises explained
Step in each square, one foot at a time. Staying on the balls of your feet. Make sure each footstep in each square of the ladder. Pump your arms.
Step in with one foot and then the other and then step outside of the square with one foot and then the other. Repeat while moving up the ladder.
Single leg hop
On the ball of your foot hop in each square, making sure your body stays above your hips. Slight bend in the knee of the leg that you are jumping with.
Lateral step in, step out
Starting with the first square, step in with your inside foot and then your outside foot, then step out and step out and repeat.
Lateral scissor switches
Start with the inside foot in the square and the other outside in a scissor position and then at the same time jump and switch your feet positioning with the opposite foot in the square the inside foot outside. Then switch continuing down the ladder.
Lateral step jab
Step in the square as you throw the jab. Step out in your stance and then step with your outside leg in the direction you are going. Repeat
T3 x FightCamp workouts
We have a massive library of FightCamp workouts on T3, all with follow-along videos that you should most certainly check out. Please find the full list below:
- 10-minute medicine ball workout by the talented PJ Sheridan (opens in new tab)
- 10-minute jump rope workout by the awesome Tommy Duquette (opens in new tab)
- 12-minute boxing full-body workout, also by Tommy
- 10-minute kickboxer’s warm-up drill by the ever so flexible Aaron ‘Speedy' Swenson (opens in new tab)
- 8-minute core workout (bodyweight exercises only) by the skilful Flo Master
- 20-minute kickboxer strength and flexibility full-body workout, also by Flo Master
- 10-minute core workout to accentuate your six-pack and increase mobility by the brilliant Coach PJ (opens in new tab)
- Fast-paced boxing HIIT workout by the peppy Coach Rocky (opens in new tab)
- Another 10-minute core workout by the always inspiring Shanie "Smash" Rusth (opens in new tab)
- 200-rep kettlebell full-body workout, also by Shanie
- MMA-style full-body conditioning workout by Shanie
This feature is part of T3's Get Fit 2022 campaign. We’ll be bringing you a wealth of guides, features, deals and news to help you get healthy, fit and ready for anything the new year can throw at you. Whether you’re a newcomer to fitness or someone with a passion for it, we’ll bring you all the best workouts, diet advice and gear to set you on the right track.