In a recent trend study conducted on behalf of Adidas Running which surveyed 6,000 runners from around the world, it was shown "that two thirds (66%) of runners run with a focus on personal betterment and transformation". In response to this, Adidas decided to create a brand new running shoe, the Adidas SL20, combining top-notch Adidas tech "with the aim of inspiring more people to explore the positive effects of running".
• New Adidas Ultraboost 21 running shoes has more BOOST and even sexier design than before
Unlike the previously announced and pro-level Adidas Adizero Pro (opens in new tab), the Adidas SL20 is aimed at everyday runners who appreciate a comfortable ride and some cushioning under their feet. The Adidas SL20 features the combination of Lightstrike and Boost technologies, the same Boost that powers the Adidas UltraBoost and PulseBoost series.
The latest version of Adidas Ultraboost 20 will be revealed on 27 February 2020 as well.
- Best running shoes (opens in new tab)
- Best running watch (opens in new tab)
- Best running headphones (opens in new tab)
New year, new motto
The marketing guys at Adidas must have been hard at work to translate the results of the Why We Run study into something marketable, but the results are indeed great and speak for themselves.
The main finding and key takeaway was that "87% of those surveyed admitted they now run with a focus on transformation and personal betterment." One can say that's a pretty significant amount of people who use running as a way to feel better about their performance and their physical and mental well-being.
• Read our Adidas 4D Run 1.0 review
Adidas' Faster Than campaign focuses not on athletes but on 'everyday heroes', like plus-size fitness model Chinae Alexander, emergency liver transplant survivor turned World Champion runner Ellie Lacey, alongside legendary women’s marathon runner Kathrine Switzer.
• Adidas Ultraboost 21 review (early verdict)
Switzer famously became the first female numbered entrant to the Boston Marathon in 1967 and was controversially pushed off the course by male entrants but battled on and finished the race.
- Best triathlon watch (opens in new tab): track your swim, cycle and run with these advanced multi-sport smartwatches
- Best trail running shoes (opens in new tab): trail blazers for men and women from Adidas, Salomon, Nike and more
- Best workout shoes (opens in new tab): safely and effectively squat, leap and lift your way to fitness with the best gym shoes
An extract from the official Adidas press release:
"As part of the campaign, Adidas has crafted a range of new shoes that enable runners to achieve their personal feeling of ‘Fast’. From the new lightweight SL20 design, with a cutting-edge Lightstrike midsole for explosive movements and enduring speed, to UB20 which provides maximum energy return in every step, and even a new 4D 1.0 shoe with a uniquely designed and ultra-supportive 3D-printed midsole, Adidas has the perfect pair of running shoes for every type of runner."
To see all the new shoes and read all the stories, head over to Adidas (opens in new tab) today.
- Best running socks (opens in new tab) for men and for women, to help energy return and provide support on road and trail runs
- Best compression socks for running (opens in new tab): these knee high socks for sport will help you stay injury-free for longer
- Best running shorts (opens in new tab): hit the road, Jack and Jacqueline