It now seems more likely than ever that Samsung bringing its Galaxy Note series to an end with the Galaxy Note 20, replacing the anticipated Galaxy Note 21 with the Galaxy Z Fold 3, according to a new report.
The Note’s demise has been the subject of intense recent speculation, with rumors that the Samsung is planning to merge the S and Note series next year, but it looks like it's the Z Fold series that's taking its place instead.
With word of a Galaxy Scroll in early testing and S-Pen support for the upcoming Galaxy S21 Ultra, the Note has been looking increasingly redundant. This significant new leak only adds weight to the growing stack of rumors implying the new foldable - the Galaxy Z Fold 3 - will become Samsung’s new flagship.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 in for a beatdown as Apple lines up iPhone 13 sucker punch
- PS5 sold out? Sony boss says it's GAME OVER for PlayStation 5 until 2021
- Where to buy PlayStation 5: PS5 restock UK and US guide (updated regularly)
As reported by AjuNews (opens in new tab), a Samsung exec (according to notable leaker Max Weinbach (opens in new tab)) confirmed that not only will the Galaxy Z Fold 3 launch next June with S-Pen support (as per a patent spotted last month), but there will not be any Note models launching in 2021. There is also further confirmation that the Galaxy S21 Ultra will be compatible with S-Pen, but as Weinbach later clarified, they won't ship together.
The jury is still out on whether this will be the case for the Galaxy Z Fold 3. Aside from the patented housing for the S-Pen, the report corroborates improved ultra-thin glass displays inbound preventing scratches or damage from S-Pen use.
Furthermore, the article verifies earlier reports revealing the inclusion of a premium under-screen camera. This technology will undoubtedly be a persuasive selling point for those skeptical of foldable phones – if it works.
Whilst the innovation appears promising, the report specifies that Samsung has not yet committed to including an under-screen camera on the Z Fold 3, if the quality of photos and the screen deteriorates over time.
As exciting as these new inclusions are, they are highly likely to come at a cost. The Fold series is already notorious for eye-watering prices with the Galaxy Z Fold 2 launching at $1,999 / £1,799 / AU$2,999.
Even if display tech becomes more affordable over time, the under-screen camera and ultra-thin glass could very well hike the cost up further. Thankfully, there is still hope for a Galaxy Z Fold FE with cost-effective design.
If you’re looking for a new foldable or Samsung device, don’t forget to check out our Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Black Friday deals, our roundup of the best Samsung phones, as well as our Black Friday deals for the best offers running throughout the week! We've got the best offers at UK retailers for you below.
- Allsaints (opens in new tab) – 30% off everything
- Amazon.co.uk (opens in new tab) – huge sale from Friday 20 to Monday 30 November
- AO.com (opens in new tab) – 1,000 deals on household appliances large and small
- Argos (opens in new tab) – big deals with same-day home delivery
- ASOS (opens in new tab)– savings on over 850 brands from 27 – 30 November
- Boohoo (opens in new tab) – up to 80% off everything
- B&Q (opens in new tab) – massive DIY sale on now
- Bose (opens in new tab) – save up to 45%
- Currys (opens in new tab) – save on 4K TVs, laptops and much more
- Dyson (opens in new tab) – save up to £150 on vacuums, fans and hair care
- eBay.co.uk (opens in new tab)– up to 50% off right now
- Ernest Jones (opens in new tab) – save on luxury watches and jewellery
- Goldsmiths.co.uk (opens in new tab) – up to 50% off watches and jewellery
- John Lewis (opens in new tab) – deals on Dyson, Sonos and more
- Le Creuset (opens in new tab) – save up to 50%
- Lego (opens in new tab) – 30% off sets
- Lovehoney.co.uk (opens in new tab) – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie
- New Look (opens in new tab) – different offers every daty
- Nike (opens in new tab) – 30% off sale now on
- The North Face (opens in new tab) – big price drops in the outlet
- Topshop (opens in new tab) – 20% off jeans and much more
- Topman (opens in new tab) – buy one get one half price on jeans
- Schuh (opens in new tab) – save big on shoes, boots and trainers
- Simba (opens in new tab) – 35% off mattresses and sleep bundles
- The White Company (opens in new tab) – quality bedding at reduced prices in the White Weekend
- Wiggle (opens in new tab) – huge savings on cycle clothing, running gear and swimwear
- Urban Decay (opens in new tab) – 30% off everything
- Very (opens in new tab) – deals on Nike, Nintendo and other top brands