It now seems more likely than ever that Samsung bringing its Galaxy Note series to an end with the Galaxy Note 20, replacing the anticipated Galaxy Note 21 with the Galaxy Z Fold 3, according to a new report.
The Note’s demise has been the subject of intense recent speculation, with rumors that the Samsung is planning to merge the S and Note series next year, but it looks like it's the Z Fold series that's taking its place instead.
With word of a Galaxy Scroll in early testing and S-Pen support for the upcoming Galaxy S21 Ultra, the Note has been looking increasingly redundant. This significant new leak only adds weight to the growing stack of rumors implying the new foldable - the Galaxy Z Fold 3 - will become Samsung’s new flagship.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 in for a beatdown as Apple lines up iPhone 13 sucker punch
- PS5 sold out? Sony boss says it's GAME OVER for PlayStation 5 until 2021
- Where to buy PlayStation 5: PS5 restock UK and US guide (updated regularly)
As reported by AjuNews, a Samsung exec (according to notable leaker Max Weinbach) confirmed that not only will the Z Fold 3 launch next June with S-Pen support (as per a patent spotted last month), but there will not be any Note models launching in 2021. There is also further confirmation that the S21 Ultra will be compatible with S-Pen, but as Weinbach later clarified, they won't ship together.
The jury is still out on whether this will be the case for the Z Fold 3. Aside from the patented housing for the S-Pen, the report corroborates improved ultra-thin glass displays inbound preventing scratches or damage from S-Pen use.
Furthermore, the article verifies earlier reports revealing the inclusion of a premium under-screen camera. This technology will undoubtedly be a persuasive selling point for those skeptical of foldable phones – if it works.
Whilst the innovation appears promising, the report specifies that Samsung has not yet committed to including an under-screen camera on the Z Fold 3, if the quality of photos and the screen deteriorates over time.
As exciting as these new inclusions are, they are highly likely to come at a cost. The Fold series is already notorious for eye-watering prices with the Z Fold 2 launching at $1,999 / £1,799 / AU$2,999.
Even if display tech becomes more affordable over time, the under-screen camera and ultra-thin glass could very well hike the cost up further. Thankfully, there is still hope for a Z Fold FE with cost-effective design.
If you’re looking for a new foldable or Samsung device, don’t forget to check out our Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Black Friday deals, our roundup of the best Samsung phones, as well as our Black Friday deals for the best offers running throughout the week! We've got the best offers at UK retailers for you below.
- Allsaints – 30% off everything
- Amazon.co.uk – huge sale from Friday 20 to Monday 30 November
- AO.com – 1,000 deals on household appliances large and small
- Argos – big deals with same-day home delivery
- ASOS– savings on over 850 brands from 27 – 30 November
- Boohoo – up to 80% off everything
- B&Q – massive DIY sale on now
- Bose – save up to 45%
- Currys – save on 4K TVs, laptops and much more
- Dyson – save up to £150 on vacuums, fans and hair care
- eBay.co.uk– up to 50% off right now
- Ernest Jones – save on luxury watches and jewellery
- Goldsmiths.co.uk – up to 50% off watches and jewellery
- John Lewis – deals on Dyson, Sonos and more
- Le Creuset – save up to 50%
- Lego – 30% off sets
- Lovehoney.co.uk – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie
- New Look – different offers every daty
- Nike – 30% off sale now on
- The North Face – big price drops in the outlet
- Topshop – 20% off jeans and much more
- Topman – buy one get one half price on jeans
- Schuh – save big on shoes, boots and trainers
- Simba – 35% off mattresses and sleep bundles
- The White Company – quality bedding at reduced prices in the White Weekend
- Wiggle – huge savings on cycle clothing, running gear and swimwear
- Urban Decay – 30% off everything
- Very – deals on Nike, Nintendo and other top brands