Someone has challenged Apple's bold claim that the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro (opens in new tab) and iPhone 11 Pro Max all feature the most durable glass ever bundled on a smartphone, finding that the iPhone 11 Pro Max isn't quite as tough as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus (opens in new tab). In fact, when subjected to a tortuous drop test, the Samsung came out on top in all experiments — except those where the material wasn't tested.
- Could this be our first look at the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2? (opens in new tab)
- Samsung Galaxy S11 could end the Apple iPhone 12 with a sliding screen (opens in new tab)
Here's what's ironic: When Apple announced the iPhone 11, it revealed that it had teamed up with Corning to develop an entirely new blend of glass that's stronger than anything bundled on a smartphone to date. Yet, Corning's Gorilla Glass 6 coating — which comes equipped on several flagship devices, including the Galaxy Note 10 Plus — performed a lot better, absorbing more energy and thus cracking less.
In all fairness, the iPhone remained on the Galaxy's bumper for the entirety of the test — there isn't a massive difference between them. So if there's one thing to take away, it's not that the Galaxy Note 10 (opens in new tab) is king, but rather that both of these devices can break. You're just playing a numbers game and sooner or later your time will come. So save yourself some cash (in the long run) and invest in a case. It's worth it.
- These are the best Android phones you can buy right now (opens in new tab)
- And these are the best folding phones coming to a store near you soon (opens in new tab)
- Finally, these are the best iPhone models, ranked (opens in new tab)