If you’re looking to get a smartwatch but don’t want to invest too much, the Huawei GT offers a great deal of bang for its buck and has got most ‘smart’ bases covered in a great body.
In this article, we'll take a look at whether you should buy the Huawei Watch GT.
Who is the Huawei Watch GT for?
Huawei’s Watch GT is designed for people who want a smartwatch packed with fitness features, that looks good on their wrist beyond the gym. The classic version has sporty features and is recognisable by its silver body, but there’s a ‘Sport’ iteration too, with a black case.
Because of its great price point, the GT is a great choice for people wanting to try a smartwatch. It’s considerably cheaper than the Apple Watch but doesn’t have all its features. However, what it lacks in apps and extras, it makes up for in battery life that’s up to one month, which is one of its big USPs.
Should you buy the Huawei Watch GT: Key features
Before detailing the watch’s specifications, we have to talk about its good looks. The thin (10.6mm) and lightweight watch has a full-colour, 1.39-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 454 x 454 pixels, which is good amongst its competitors. Navigation is via two buttons on the side and the touchscreen. The watch is composed of ceramic and metal, which looks and feels good, and there’s a choice of material for straps, including leather and silicone.
Performance-wise, Huawei’s own system is quick. For example, the GPS on it connects and syncs almost instantly, although it doesn’t have to juggle a tonne of apps and features like the Apple Watch, for example. It does, however, offer lots of fitness tech.
The main app on the watch is called Workouts and it offers most of the tracking capabilities outside of the normal step tracking and heart rate monitoring that’s working at all times in the background. There are also easy modes to set up such as Outdoor Run and Pool Swim, with accurate tracking and stats recorded.
There are also customisable faces and notifications that can be set up via an accompanying iOS or Android app. However, perhaps the biggest draw is the GT’s amazing battery life. Huawei believes this watch should be able to last almost a whole month on a single charge (based on two weeks of mixed-use and including a day with full use of the GPS feature) and its claim seems to hold up.
Should you buy the Huawei Watch GT: The downsides
There are two big downsides to the GT, but they won’t matter to all prospective smartwatch buyers. Firstly, there’s no contactless payments and secondly, no ability to add third-party apps, meaning you won’t be able to customise it much, and it’s more like a Garmin than an Apple Watch.
Should you buy the Huawei Watch GT: Verdict
The Huawei Watch GT is a great option for people who want a predominantly sporty smartwatch, with the features of a Garmin, for example, fit into a more traditional-looking timepiece. It doesn’t offer the most fully-featured software seen on a smartwatch, but it does offer a lot considering its price. It’s a great ‘first’ smartwatch or a good option if you’re sporty or too busy to bother with customising a watch with loads of apps.
You can find the best prices on the Huawei Watch GT below:
Black Friday deals
- Best Black Friday deals
- Amazon Black Friday deals
- AO.com Black Friday deals
- Currys Black Friday deals
- Argos Black Friday deals
- John Lewis Black Friday deals
- Walmart Black Friday deals
- Best Buy Black Friday deals
Black Friday sales around the web
- Amazon.co.uk – massive savings every day
- Argos.co.uk – cheap Lego, toys, phones and more
- AO.com – huge sale on electrical appliances
- Bose.co.uk – save up to 45%
- Currys.co.uk – Black Tag sale is live now
- Dell.co.uk – big savings on laptops and desktop PCs
- eBay.co.uk – knock-down prices and voucher codes
- Very.co.uk – deals on electricals, fashion and home
- Lovehoney.co.uk – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie
- Goldsmiths.co.uk Black Friday sale – up to 50% off watches and jewellery
- Ernest Jones – £200 off when you spend £1,000
- John Lewis Black Friday sale – mega savings plus the John Lewis guarantee
- Le Creuset Black Friday sale – premium cookware gets tasty discounts
- Nike Black Friday sale – new sneakers at sneaky low prices
- ASOS – up to 70% off everything
- Schuh Black Friday sale – save big on shoes, boots and trainers
- The White Company White Weekend Sale – quality bedding at reduced prices
- Simba – up to 40% off mattresses and sleep bundles
- Amazon.com Black Friday Deals – new deals every day for a week
- Walmart.com Black Friday sale – cheap 4K TVs, games consoles and more
- eBay.com Black Friday sale– bargain prices and voucher codes
- Dell.com Black Friday sale – cut-price notebooks, monitors and more
- Target.com Black Friday sale – save on clothing, appliances and furniture
- Nordstrom.com Black Friday sale – refresh your winter wardrobe for not much money
- Lovehoney.com US Black Friday sale – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie