Blessed be the fruit, Elisabeth Moss is returning as the tough as nails June for the long-awaited season 5 of The Handmaid's Tale, the highly successful TV adaptation of the Margaret Atwood novel. Don’t miss the penultimate season with our guide on how to watch The Handmaid’s Tale season 5 online and stream new episodes every week from anywhere.
Spanning beyond the parameters of the original novel, in season 4, June finally manages to flee Gilead and reach Canada. There, finding herself failed by international justice, she takes matters into her own hands, and in a momentous finale, we see her and a group of other former Handmaids and Marthas literally tear her captor and rapist, Commander Fred Waterford (Joseph Fiennes), to pieces in a cathartic act of revenge.
Alongside Moss, the mainstay cast is back for season 5, including Yvonne Strahovski (Serena), Madeline Brewer (Janine), Ann Dowd (Aunt Lydia), O-T Fagbenle (Luke), Max Minghella (Max) and Bradley Whitford (Commander Lawrence), to name but a few of the Emmy-winning line-up. They are joined this season by Hawaii Five-0 star Christine Ko as resourceful Gilead refugee Lily and New Amsterdam's Genevieve Angelson as Gilead’s rising star, Mrs. Wheeler.
With a sixth and final season already confirmed by Hulu, season 5 will reveal events in the aftermath of Commander Fred's brutal killing. Will June have to go into hiding, or will she risk going back into Gilead? Will pregnant and exiled Serena be her next target? Be sure to catch up on the premiere and ensure you know how to watch The Handmaid’s Tale season 5 online and stream from abroad with the help of a VPN (opens in new tab).
Where can I watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 online for free
There are a couple of countries around the world that are broadcasting new episodes on their free-to-air channels. This includes Australia, where you can watch episodes at 8.30pm AEST on SBS every Thursday - not long after their air in the US.
The first two episodes are already available to stream free on SBS On Demand (opens in new tab), with new episodes set to be made available every week after broadcast. Anyone can watch - you simply need to make a free account. And if you're an Aussie abroad, all you'll need is a VPN (opens in new tab) (detailed below) to access this free stream.
The UK will also be able to watch the new season for free from 23rd October 2022 on Channel 4. New episodes will air at 9pm each Sunday night.
How can I watch The Handmaid's Tale online from anywhere
If you're abroad right now, there's still hope that you can watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 online. While you'll find the content is geo-blocked on your chosen streaming service, you can get around that with a trusty VPN - and potentially access a free stream.
Connect to one of the best VPN providers and you'll be able to port yourself anywhere in the world to watch The Handmaid's Tale.
While there are loads of VPNs, not all of them are created equal when it comes to unblocking the likes of Hulu, All 4, SBS, Crave, and more. For this, we recommend:
ExpressVPN - Watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 wherever you are with the best VPN (opens in new tab)
As one of the leading VPNs, ExpressVPN is able to unblock BBC iPlayer allowing you to watch content even if you're currently out of the country. It also has excellent security features and top-end speed.
Right now, when you sign up to a ExpressVPN annual plan, you'll be able to get 3 months for free while still being able to get a 30-day money back guarantee if you're not happy with the service.
- Give ExpressVPN a try with its 100% money-back guarantee (opens in new tab)
Where can I watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 in the US?
As a Hulu original, The Handmaid's Tale Season 5 premiered with a double bill on Hulu on September 14 with new episodes arriving every Wednesday at 12.01am ET / 3.01am PT on Hulu up until November 9.
Hulu comes with a 30-day free trial, thereafter costing $6.99 a month, or $12.99 a month if you opt for its no-adds plan.
You can also get a 7-day Hulu free trial with the Hulu + Live TV package, which will set you back from $69.99 a month.
It's also worth noting US customers can get the great value Disney Plus bundle for $13.99 a month, throwing in Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, and Hulu.
- Android smartphones and tablets
- iOS smartphones and tablets
- Apple TV
- Fire TV, Fire Stick, and Fire Tablets, as well as Echo Shpws
- LG TVs
- Windows/Mac desktop
- PlayStation and Xbox consoles
- Select smart TVs including Android, LG, and Samsung
- Xfinity Flex Streaming TV Box
Where to watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 in the Uk for free?
As previously mentioned, in the UK, The Handmaid's Tale finds its home for initial release on Channel 4, though there's been no official word on the date we can expect it to be broadcast.
If previous seasons are anything to go by, it shouldn't be too long before those in the UK can watch on Channel 4 and its on-demand service, All 4 (opens in new tab).
However, if you're looking to remind yourself of the story so far, you can watch The Handmaid's Tale seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime Video (opens in new tab), which will cost you £5.99 a month for just Prime Video, or £7.99 a month or £79 a year for a full Prime membership (opens in new tab), with access to free next-day delivery, Amazon Music, Prime Reading, and more. New customers can also benefit from a 30-day free trial (opens in new tab).
Where to watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 elsewhere across the globe
Those north of the States in Canada can watch right alongside their neighbours, with The Handmaid's Tale season 5 hitting CTV's Drama Channel from September 14 at 9pm ET/PT every Wednesday.
Those without cable can also opt for the cheaper option of Crave, costing $9.99 a month and offering a 7-day free trial to new subscribers. Here you'll find the four seasons so far, and with new season 5 episodes made available on Wednesdays.
For those in New Zealand, Neon TV (opens in new tab) is the place to watch all the seasons of The Handmaid's Tale, with season 5 is due to premiere on Wednesday, September 14.
How to use a VPN to unblock any restrictions
If you're outside of your preferred broadcaster's boundaries, you can use a VPN to unblock any geo-restrictions and watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5 as if you were right at home. Here's our step-by-step guide on how to do just that.
- VPN - standing for virtual private network - offers security and anonymity as you browse online, using set protocols to encrypt your data and make it unreadable to outsiders.
- As a part of that, you can also switch your IP address, which identifies your location.
- Most VPNs offer a list of locations where its servers are based to join. Connecting to them switches your IP to appear as if you're browsing from that country/city. In turn, you can then access content locked to that country.
- When it comes to finding a VPN, you should make sure you find the best one that's suitable for your chosen device, with VPN providers offering compatibility for a ton of devices, including VPN for Mac and even a range of fairly nifty free VPNs.
- Once you've made the decision for the most suitable VPN for your device and your means for using a VPN, sign-up and install it.
- To watch The Handmaid's Tale season 5, all you need to do is select a country showing it from its list of available servers and connect. You'll then be able to hop over geo-restrictions, with the likes of BBC iPlayer and Netflix opening their online gates to you.
- We also want to ensure your money is well spent, so we would recommend going for a VPN that offers a risk-free trial. ExpressVPN is one of many providers that has a 30-day money-back guarantee (opens in new tab).