The newly released Xbox Series X and PS5 are proving tough to get hold of as keen buyers snap up their limited stock. But soon you might not need a physical piece of hardware to play Xbox games as you stream them directly through your TV.
Head of Xbox Phil Spencer says we’re likely to see a dedicated Xbox app next year that will allow you to stream Xbox games on your smart TV. “I think you’re going to see that in the next 12 months. I don’t think anything is going to stop us from doing that.”
- Where to buy Xbox Series X: restock guide for UK and US (updated TODAY)
- PS5 gets CRUCIAL upgrade to go toe-to-toe with Xbox Series X
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 heads for retirement as new Galaxy Fold 3 feature breaks cover
In an interview with The Verge, Spencer says we're going to see this roll out in the "next 12 months," adding, "I don’t think anything is going to stop us from doing that.”
With the development of smart TVs that cater to apps, Bluetooth, and streaming capabilities, the idea is that players can stream their games directly through their TV, much like they would with movies and TV shows on Netflix.
Spencer didn’t discuss the specifics of an Xbox TV app but Microsoft has already broached game streaming territory. Its Project xCloud service enables players to stream games to their Android phones and tablets, and Microsoft is currently developing the service for browsers to run on iOS devices. The xCloud service has recently been added to the Ultimate tier of the Xbox Game Pass subscription.
While an Xbox TV App would radically change the way games are played, don’t go throwing out your Xbox just yet, as Spencer thinks home console hardware will be sticking around for a while longer.
“I just push back a little bit on [the idea] that when streaming comes, all the consoles go away, or all my local devices that play video games go away. I’m not quite as sold on that. I think we just have to be nimble and watching what players want.”
Spencer went on to say that the tech will have to be refined to cope with latency and security issues that arise from streaming across multiple TVs in one house – for example, if a household wanted to play the same game on separate TVs simultaneously.
This isn’t the first time Microsoft has hinted at a move towards streaming platforms. Last month, Spencer suggested the possibility of a streaming stick that plugs into your TV and grants access to the full library of Xbox games through the cloud. It would function similarly to the Amazon Fire Stick.
In the meantime, you can try your luck getting your hands on the latest Microsoft console with out Black Friday Xbox Series restock guide, as well as checking out a selection of Black Friday deals below.
- Allsaints (opens in new tab) – 30% off everything
- Amazon.co.uk (opens in new tab) – huge sale from Friday 20 to Monday 30 November
- AO.com (opens in new tab) – 1,000 deals on household appliances large and small
- Argos (opens in new tab) – big deals with same-day home delivery
- ASOS (opens in new tab)– savings on over 850 brands from 27 – 30 November
- Boohoo (opens in new tab) – up to 80% off everything
- B&Q (opens in new tab) – massive DIY sale on now
- Bose (opens in new tab) – save up to 45%
- Currys (opens in new tab) – save on 4K TVs, laptops and much more
- Dyson (opens in new tab) – save up to £150 on vacuums, fans and hair care
- eBay.co.uk (opens in new tab)– up to 50% off right now
- Ernest Jones (opens in new tab) – save on luxury watches and jewellery
- Goldsmiths.co.uk (opens in new tab) – up to 50% off watches and jewellery
- John Lewis (opens in new tab) – deals on Dyson, Sonos and more
- Le Creuset (opens in new tab) – save up to 50%
- Lego (opens in new tab) – 30% off sets
- Lovehoney.co.uk (opens in new tab) – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie
- New Look (opens in new tab) – different offers every daty
- Nike (opens in new tab) – 30% off sale now on
- The North Face (opens in new tab) – big price drops in the outlet
- Topshop (opens in new tab) – 20% off jeans and much more
- Topman (opens in new tab) – buy one get one half price on jeans
- Schuh (opens in new tab) – save big on shoes, boots and trainers
- Simba (opens in new tab) – 35% off mattresses and sleep bundles
- The White Company (opens in new tab) – quality bedding at reduced prices in the White Weekend
- Wiggle (opens in new tab) – huge savings on cycle clothing, running gear and swimwear
- Urban Decay (opens in new tab) – 30% off everything
- Very (opens in new tab) – deals on Nike, Nintendo and other top brands
Source: The Verge (opens in new tab)