'Exploding' Samsung Galaxy S3 found to be a microwaved fake

UK Fire Investigations find 'exploding' Galaxy S3 handset was a fake that was microwaved

Said to have exploded whilst charging in a car, a damaged Samsung Galaxy S3 handset has been deemed to have been faked using a microwave

A Samsung Galaxy S3 handset that was claimed to have spontaneously exploded whilst being charged in a car appears to be a hoax with UK Fire Investigators suggesting the handset might have been microwaved.

With the Irish handset owner suggesting his quad-core Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich device had burst into flames whilst driving along with the handset losing all ability to secure signal, Samsung had vouched to find out the cause for the potential dangerous failing with foul play now deemed to have been the true cause.

"The device was not responsible for the cause of the fire," Fire Investigations UK employee Peter Mansi said following a thorough investigation of the device. "The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device."

He added: "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

Following the findings, the handset’s owner has admitted to faking his original report stating that he "would like to retract my original statement.”

Having been caught out he added: "The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake."

Have you ever accidentally damaged your handset beyond repair? Let us know what fate befell your device via the T3 Twitter and Facebook feeds.

Via: TechRadar

Tags