Safety issues surrounding Apple’s portable pocket blowers has been brought back to the fore after a passenger’s Apple iPhone 4S spontaneously combusted during a flight to Sydney.
The Regional Express internal Australian flight from Lismore to the city with the iconic harbour has seen Apple come under scrutiny after one of its device reportedly began to glow red hot and emit smoke as the plane began its decent into landing. Once on the tarmac the handset had to be extinguished.
"Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney today had an occurrence after landing, when a passenger's mobile phone started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke accompanied by a red glow,” an official statement from the national airline said.
"In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the Flight Attendant carried out recovery actions immediately and the red glow was extinguished successfully."
Apple iPhone Safety Concerns
Far from the first time one of Apple’s iPhone devices has been reported to have suffered from overheating issues Apple in 2009 blamed users for intentionally overheating and exploding handsets whilst there have been a number of cases of iPhones overheating whilst charging and subsequently melting their power cords.
Are you an iPhone owner, have you ever suffered from overheating issues with your handset? Let us know via the comments box below.