Black Friday sales are a great time to buy those big-ticket electronics and this year I'm putting my own money into a Samsung 8K TV. While 8K screens are still far from cheap, the savings right now are huge and there seems little point in buying 4K at this point.
When I moved to the US, I had to ditch my old TV as it wouldn't have worked here. All down to voltage, PAL and regions (I believe). So I picked up a relatively cheap 4K screen on arrival. It's served me well over the last three years but I'm itching for something bigger and better, so looking through the best Black Friday deals has me convinced.
Upgrading from a 49-inch model, there are plenty of affordable solutions available. I could just go bigger with one of the Amazon Fire TVs, like the Toshiba 65-in model (opens in new tab), and only spend just over $500, but this doesn't feel like enough of a step up. Another option is to look at some of the OLED and Mini-LED models, such as the exceptionally well-priced TCL Series-6 (opens in new tab), which also has a 120Hz refresh rate for just a touch over $1,000.
But if I'm going to invest in a new TV, I want it to last a few years. So for that reason, I want something with the very latest technology. Firstly, 120Hz is a must, as I want it to be ready for next-gen consoles (once I finally track down a PS5). It needs to have a competent OS built-in, so I can watch streaming channels with ease, and it should have excellent HDR performance.
While all of this is possible in a 4K screen, the lure of 8K has me hooked. Yes, I know there's next to no 8K content available right now, but it's coming. And do I want to be upgrading in a year or so's time when everyone else is watching 8K content? An 8K screen is the most future-proof you can get right now and while still considerably more expensive, there are some great deals.
The Samsung QN900A was our T3 Awards Best TV winner for good reason. Featuring Mini-LED technology, this 8K beast offers stunning backlight control and impressive HDR (though unfortunately not Dolby Vision). Of course, it offers full HDMI 2.1 support with 120Hz, so its ready for next-gen gaming and there's the Tizen-based Eden OS to access all of those streaming options.
The regular list price for the 75-inch version (that's about as big as I can get away with) is a whopping $6,999.99 but right now you can get $2,500 (36%) off, taking it down to $4,499.99 (opens in new tab). Still a significant investment but quite a saving. The biggest savings actually come on the 85-inch model (opens in new tab), but that's just too much for me to contemplate.
If you want to budget a little more, the Samsung QN800A is just a small step down from the QN900A. It still offers a stunning 8K picture with QLED technology and HDR support. It's just not quite as bright and the speakers aren't quite as powerful – which won't matter once you add a soundbar. You can actually pick up the QN800A in the 65-inch size for $2,499.99 (opens in new tab), which is still $1,000 (29%) off the list price and pretty close to high-end 4K money.
If you really don't want to stretch to 8K prices, the 4K version of this TV, the Samsung QN90A starts from just $1,199.99 (opens in new tab), with most of the same great features. For me though, I'm going all-in on 8K. Wish me luck.
Black Friday sales around the web
- adidas (opens in new tab) – save on quality sportswear
- Amazon (opens in new tab) – great price cuts every day
- ASOS (opens in new tab) – the latest fashion and accessory trends
- Best Buy (opens in new tab) – big discounts on electronics
- Dell (opens in new tab) – up to 35% off laptops, desktops and monitors
- eBay (opens in new tab) – top prices on new and refurbished items
- GameStop (opens in new tab) – big savings on games, accessories and electronics
- H&M (opens in new tab) – huge discounts on men, women and children's clothing
- Home Depot (opens in new tab) – save on appliances, tools, decorations and home goods
- Le Creuset (opens in new tab) – high-quality cookware at discounted prices
- Lovehoney (opens in new tab) – mega savings sex toys and lingerie
- Lowes (opens in new tab) – Black Friday deals on appliances, tools and home products
- Nike (opens in new tab) – up to 50% off sportswear and fitness equipment
- Target (opens in new tab) – deals on electronics, home, clothing and more
- Walmart (opens in new tab) – massive Black Friday sales now on
- The White Company (opens in new tab) – save on bedding, candles and spa essentials