Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony will form LCD display company

Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony are planning the joint creation of a new company called Japan Display that will manufacture LCD screens for numerous electronic devices

The three firms will combine forces to create a new company called Japan Display that will manufacture small to medium-sized LCD screens for increasingly common consumer products, such as smartphones and tablet PCs.

All three have already signed a memorandum of understanding, which is not currently binding. However, they expect to sign a full legally binding contract later this year.

The news comes just days after Samsung announced it is to cut 10 per cent of the executives in its struggling liquid crystal display division, in a drastic bid to cut losses. At the time, a Samsung spokesperson said: “[the sackings] this is to strengthen competitiveness of the LCD business and stabilise the organisation amid the industry’s increasing uncertainties.”

Although the companies already control 21.5% of the LCD market between them, experts believe full integration of their businesses might be difficult as they all use different technology in their displays. Nonetheless, the trio expect their LCD display businesses to be fully integrated by early 2012.

It is understood the venture will be receiving financial backing from the Japanese government and will be operated by a firm called Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ). INCJ are 90% government owned, and subsequently the venture will be 70% government owned, with Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony receiving the remaining 30% of shares between them.

Questions have already been raised about the exact financial goals of this project, especially when it is accepting vital government funding. Shigeo Sugawara from Sompo Japan Nippon Koa Asset Management, said: "It's not a business that will likely provide stable profits in the mid to long term."

It is thought that INCJ will eventually sink up to ¥200 billion (roughly £1.6 billion) into the venture, which could see it overtake Sharp and Samsung to become the biggest producer of LCD screens in the world.

Do you think this could result in better screens in phones and tablets, or is this move going to over-saturate the market? Let us know all your thoughts on the T3 Facebook and Twitter pages.

Comments

Be the first to comment…

Back to top
Close
T3 Newsletter
Sign up to recieve the T3 newsletters by entering your details below

Your Details

As you're registering with us. we'd like to think that you'd enjoy receiving the following emails; if you'd rather not receive them, please untick the boxes:

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and it's group companies containing news, special offers and product information
I agree to the terms of use and privacy policy and confirm that I am over 16 years of age *
Close
Log in or Join

By clicking below you agree to our terms and conditions and our privacy policy

Log in to T3.com with your preferred social network

Log in with your T3.com account

CloseJoinPlease complete these additional details

Join T3.com with your preferred social network

OR

Join T3.com

Please tick this box to confirm you are 16 years old or over

Just so we know you're human

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Close Edit your profile

Change your password

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Social networks

You have authorised these social networks to interact with your T3.com account.

Please ensure you deactivate or revoke access to this website from within your social networks settings to ensure all permissions are removed.

Close Forgotten your password

Forgotten your password?

Please enter the email address that you used to sign up and we'll send you a new password

Close
Forgotten password
Don't have a T3 Account? Join now