Three restricting heaviest web users to unclog data pipes

Web access restricted for heaviest users – as Three claims at times 5% of customers are taking up 60% of its bandwidth

 

Network operator Three is restricting web connections to customers in an attempt to stop its network from being clogged up by a minority of very heavy data users, in an initiative it is calling Traffic Sense.

It claims at certain times 5% of users are taking up 60% of the bandwidth available, probably through high-data activities such as downloading HD videos.

This means the majority of people trying to access the web for everyday tasks may find they struggle to get a decent connection.   

A Three spokesperson told us: “As with other internet networks, if we don’t ensure a fair balance, a small number of customers can end up using a very large proportion of what is ultimately a shared resource. TrafficSense ensures we can share the resource fairly and that the activity levels of a small group does not unduly impact the experience of other users.”

Three is being careful to avoid terms like ‘throttling’ and ‘data capping’ – and insists this is for the good of the good of the majority of customers.

“We are currently piloting TrafficSense at peak demand times.  In the case of our highest data users TrafficSense identifies up to the top 5% of users on a sustained basis each month.  It then allocates capacity to those users proportionally during peak periods for the following seven days.  This ensures the remaining 95% of users also get fair access and the best possible internet experience. Our aim is to ensure that the vast majority of customers have a better experience during the busiest hours.

“As an example, if you regularly stream a lot of high definition video between 3pm and 12am relative to most users, TrafficSense may identify you as a high data user and manage your data traffic for a period of seven days.  This means some services will appear to run more slowly during peak times within that period.”

Comments

Be the first to comment…

Back to top
Close
T3 Newsletter
Sign up to recieve the T3 newsletters by entering your details below

Your Details

As you're registering with us. we'd like to think that you'd enjoy receiving the following emails; if you'd rather not receive them, please untick the boxes:

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and it's group companies containing news, special offers and product information
I agree to the terms of use and privacy policy and confirm that I am over 16 years of age *
Close
Log in or Join

By clicking below you agree to our terms and conditions and our privacy policy

Log in to T3.com with your preferred social network

Log in with your T3.com account

CloseJoinPlease complete these additional details

Join T3.com with your preferred social network

OR

Join T3.com

Please tick this box to confirm you are 16 years old or over

Just so we know you're human

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Close Edit your profile

Change your password

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Social networks

You have authorised these social networks to interact with your T3.com account.

Please ensure you deactivate or revoke access to this website from within your social networks settings to ensure all permissions are removed.

Close Forgotten your password

Forgotten your password?

Please enter the email address that you used to sign up and we'll send you a new password

Close
Forgotten password
Don't have a T3 Account? Join now