Rupert Murdoch given BSkyB takeover go-ahead

Murdoch to up his 39 per cent share in BSkyB

Rupert Murdoch’s attempts to buy the remaining stake of BSkyB have been bolstered by a recent government decision that has given the green light to News Corps’ latest proposal.

Having ended concerns that a full BSkyB takeover would give News Corp too large a stake in the British Media, Murdoch’s company has been given the go ahead by the British Government after it proposed to split Sky News from the BSkyB package to run as a separate, independent company.

Murdoch who currently owns 39 per cent of BSkyB is reportedly planning on buy the remaining 61 per cent of the company at a predicted 850 pence per share in a buyout totalling £9.1 billion. The buyout has stoked much debate over media control with News Corp currently owning The Sun, The News of the World, The Times and The Sunday Times in the UK.

Speaking on the proposed deal Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt was keen to stress the government had cleared the plans in a just, fair manner. He stated the government are:  "very, very conscious that people are suspicious of politicians' motives," adding "Ofcom assured me that News Corp's undertaking addressed its concerns about media plurality."

With current shareholders in Sky News to retain their stake in the company Hunt went on to stress: "The undertakings offered would ensure that shareholdings in Sky News would remain unchanged, and indeed offer it more independence from New Corporation than it currently has.”

Will Murdoch’s entire ownership of BSkyB along with his hefty media portfolio prove damaging to the British media? Let us know your thoughts via the T3 Twitter and Facebook feeds.

Via:BBC

Comments

Be the first to comment…

Back to top
Close
T3 Newsletter
Sign up to recieve the T3 newsletters by entering your details below

Your Details

As you're registering with us. we'd like to think that you'd enjoy receiving the following emails; if you'd rather not receive them, please untick the boxes:

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and it's group companies containing news, special offers and product information
I agree to the terms of use and privacy policy and confirm that I am over 16 years of age *
Close
Log in or Join

By clicking below you agree to our terms and conditions and our privacy policy

Log in to T3.com with your preferred social network

Log in with your T3.com account

CloseJoinPlease complete these additional details

Join T3.com with your preferred social network

OR

Join T3.com

Please tick this box to confirm you are 16 years old or over

Just so we know you're human

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Close Edit your profile

Change your password

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Social networks

You have authorised these social networks to interact with your T3.com account.

Please ensure you deactivate or revoke access to this website from within your social networks settings to ensure all permissions are removed.

Close Forgotten your password

Forgotten your password?

Please enter the email address that you used to sign up and we'll send you a new password

Close
Forgotten password
Don't have a T3 Account? Join now