London 2012 takes UK Gaming Chart top spot
The London Olympics have helped London 2012: The Official Video Game take the top slot in the UK Games Chart, unseating Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes.
London 2012 Olympic Games
This ends the caped crusader’s unbroken 5-week run as Britain’s biggest selling video game.
London 2012’s publisher, Sega, has two reasons to celebrate the games. Alongside its brand new Olympic tie-in taking the top slot, Sega’s Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games has seen its sales buoyed, climbing 5 places in the chart to the number 3 spot – impressive for a game that’s been out for 38 weeks.
Elsewhere in the chart, Batman: Arkham City received a boost, presumably off the back of release of the recent Christopher Nolan film, The Dark Knight Rises, while Spiderman took a tumble down the charts. Surprisingly, the release of Nintendo’s new 3DS XL console didn’t have much of an affect on the top standings; Kingdom Hearts 3D being the only game for the console that remained in the top ten. Of the 3DS XL’s launch titles, only Pokemon Conquest cracked the top 20, landing at in at 17.
The top ten selling games in the UK across all formats are as follows:
1. London 2012: The Official Video Game (ranked 2 last week)
2. Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes (ranked 1 last week)
3. Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games (ranked 8 last week)
4. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (ranked 3 last week)
5. Batman: Arkham City (ranked 7 last week)
6. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (ranked 5 last week)
7. The Amazing Spiderman (ranked 4 last week)
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (ranked 10 last week)
9. FIFA 12 (ranked 12 last week)
10. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (ranked 5 last week)
Love sport? Check out: Nike Hyperdunk+ boots show future of social sports technology