Google launches One Pass to rival Apple's sub service

It's Google vs Apple all over again

Eric Schmidt, chief executive of Google, announced Google One Pass at Humboldt University in Berlin, in time to rival Apple's subscription service.

Google One Pass is an online service that allows publishers set prices and terms for their digital content for tablets, websites and smartphones.

Google One Pass will be taking a 10% commission in order to cover their costs with 90% for the publishers. Techies will remember Apple's subscription service takes 30%, leaving 70% for its publishers.

As they aim for the publishers to have a direct relationship with the customers, publishers will have access to information of those who have subscribed. This ensures people don't have to re-subscribe to access the digital content if they've already subscribed to the print versions.

Google One Pass is available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US, with plans to expand to other countries eventually.

Lee Shirani, director of business product management said the service also allows publishers to give existing print subscribers free (or discounted) access to digital content. He said, "Our goal is to provide an open and flexible platform that furthers our commitment to support publishers, journalism and access to quality content."

Do you subscribe to online digital content? If you don't already, check out the T3 iPad app now on Apple apps sub service and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest in the world of tech.

Comments

Be the first to comment…

Back to top
Close
T3 Newsletter
Sign up to recieve the T3 newsletters by entering your details below

Your Details

As you're registering with us. we'd like to think that you'd enjoy receiving the following emails; if you'd rather not receive them, please untick the boxes:

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and it's group companies containing news, special offers and product information
I agree to the terms of use and privacy policy and confirm that I am over 16 years of age *
Close
Log in or Join

By clicking below you agree to our terms and conditions and our privacy policy

Log in to T3.com with your preferred social network

Log in with your T3.com account

CloseJoinPlease complete these additional details

Join T3.com with your preferred social network

OR

Join T3.com

Please tick this box to confirm you are 16 years old or over

Just so we know you're human

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Close Edit your profile

Change your password

Newsletters

I would like to receive T3 email newsletters, packed full of the latest tech news, competitions and exclusive offers.

I would like to receive other emails from T3, Future Publishing Limited and its group companies containing news, special offers and product information.

I would like to receive offers from carefully selected third Parties. We will not share your data with the third party.

Social networks

You have authorised these social networks to interact with your T3.com account.

Please ensure you deactivate or revoke access to this website from within your social networks settings to ensure all permissions are removed.

Close Forgotten your password

Forgotten your password?

Please enter the email address that you used to sign up and we'll send you a new password

Close
Forgotten password
Don't have a T3 Account? Join now